Search on site
Application deadline is March 1
The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) is requesting public nominations to fill five positions on the Steens Mountain Advisory Council (SMAC) with terms that end in 2013. Nominations are being accepted for:
1) a person interested in fish and recreational fishing in the Cooperative Management and Protection Area (CMPA);
2) a representative of a state environmental organization;
3) a recreation permit holder or representative of a commercial recreation operation in the CMPA;
4) a private landowner within the CMPA;
5) a member and representative of the Burns Paiute Tribe; and
6) a representative of the state government to serve as a liaison to the advisory council.
SMAC members represent others within particular categories of interest and work collaboratively to recommend management strategies for the CMPA to BLM. Serving on the SMAC gives members a chance to significantly contribute to the future of public lands on Steens Mountain.
To nominate yourself or someone you know, submit a nomination form and supporting letters of recommendation from the groups or interests to be represented to the BLM Burns District Office, 28910 Hwy 20 West, Hines, OR 97738. The application deadline is March 1. Nomination forms can be picked up in person at this same location, by calling 541-573-4400, or from the website at:
The specific category the nominee would like to represent should be identified in the nomination form and letters of reference. The BLM, the Harney County Court, and the Oregon Governor’s Office will review the applications and submit recommended nominees to the Secretary of the Interior, who has responsibility for making the appointments.
Appointed members must reside in the State of Oregon. The SMAC usually holds quarterly meetings. Although members serve without monetary compensation, travel and per diem expenses are reimbursed at current rates for government employees. SMAC members are normally appointed to three-year terms.
For more information on the SMAC, call Tara Martinak at 541-573-4400.